Thursday, February 24, 2022

Research - Silent Films

       Today, me and my partner got more in depth with the silent element in films as to getting an idea on what crating a silent film would be like. Before I began my research I thought silent films weren't a thing anymore since the only thing I knew about them where that they where incredibly popular in the late 20s. But as I began researching I found out that even though the silent film era peaked about a century ago, the films are making a come back and becoming increasingly popular among younger audiences. This made me pretty excited about doing a silent film. I'm eager about this element in film because I believe silent films are an important part of film history. Silent films evolved film language over time, you can see this by comparing how camera angles were used a certain way to show emotion in a silent film. Not just the camera movements but also the derived actions of the actors had a significant importance to keep the film moving forward. 

    A silent film is a film with no audible dialog or synchronized sound. Because of this, acting in these films was much more physical than in any other type of movies. The audience would have to read the character's emotion by looking at their facial expressions and their body language. Silent films may have subtitles or title cards to help the viewer understand and stay on track with the film. But for the most part, silent films convey narrative and emotion visually. A really famous silent film is, The Lodger 1927, this is the story of an innocent man wrongly accused of murder. The film haves no dialog or synchronized sounds whatsoever, but it does have a score throughout the entire film. This score keep the viewer captivated and helps them feel a certain way about the story line.

   Because silent films are communicated well by very experienced and expressive actors because of the physical process, I believe this would be very hard to execute ourselves, me and my partner. But if we really put our research into good use and learned from these films, we could come up with something not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Setting

     Today, during class, with my partner we discussed a few things about the productions location, the outfit design, and more. For setting...